Providence is calling an Informatics Pharmacist to Providence Health & Services in Seattle, WA.
We are seeking an Informatics Pharmacist to be responsible to assess, plan, coordinate, implement and support information technology and systems that impact the provision of safe and effective distributive and clinical pharmacy services, including safety of the medication administration system, prevention of adverse drug events, and optimization of patient outcomes. Responds to staff needs for information system education and training. Responds to improvement needs in the functional operation of the pharmacy computer system and access to drug information resources.
In this position you will:
- Manage pharmacy computer systems.
- Assists in development of policies and procedures necessary for the effective and efficient use of computer technology. This includes planning for appropriate backup contingencies during computer downtime.
- Assists in development and delivers pharmacy staff training for computer applications and systems related topics to ensure pharmacy staff knowledge and practice consistency. May deliver education to other audiences on the patient care units and within the hospital.
- Troubleshoots problems with pharmacy information technology as necessary. Works closely with pharmacy staff, pharmacy leadership, and Information Services. Triages issues appropriately- Identifies, analyzes, prioritizes, redesigns, tests, and, if appropriate, implements improvements to existing clinical information systems with Information Services staff.
- Assists with local planning, implementation and maintenance of all new technology introduced into the department/organization that relates to the drug administration system or to the provision of clinical or distributive pharmacy services. Products and technology included are Automated medication dispensing systems, including carousel and robotic, Pharmacy inventory management applications and associated software/hardware, Automated pharmacy compounding systems, Medication barcode packaging and scanning systems, Clinical decision support applications and Smart pump drug dictionaries.
- Writes Reporting Workbench and other reports (e.g., SQL) as necessary to meet the needs of pharmacy staff, management, and other departments.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
- Pharmacy Informatics Residency OR equivalent work experience in practice and informatics
- Current license or licensure eligible to practice as a pharmacist for state where position is located (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Montana, or California). If eligible, must obtain license before the first day of employment.
- Epic Willow certified or proficient within 6 months of hire.
- 3 years of contemporary institutional/health system experience as a practicing pharmacist with strong working knowledge of pharmacy operations, practice, and informatics required.
- Progressively responsible clinical practice and project management providing pharmaceutical care in a multiple health system setting.
- Applied computer and Internet experience in development, implementation, maintenance, support, and enhancement of pharmacy computer systems
- Experience developing, conducting, and evaluating staff education and training
- Provide first line triage of pharmacy-related EHR issues identified at the local level and resolve or escalate as necessary per policy.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning styles.
- Ability to deliver training both in a one-on-one basis and in a group or classroom setting.
- Demonstrated ability to network collaboratively with line managers and supervisors, as well as high level individual contributors.
- Ability to identify and implement changes and improvements that accomplish long-range objectives.
- Ability to rapidly summarize complex information and present to others.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, both interpersonally and on a technical level.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technology and applications.
- Ability to see and understand whole systems and how elements within systems relate (systems thinking) . Work cooperatively with others to use appropriate systems strengths, knowledge and cooperation to improve performance.
- Excellent critical thinking skills used toward analyzing, testing, troubleshooting, and isolating complex problems.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively using project management skills
- Ability to perform duties in a participative and collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to be self directed, collaborative, to escalate appropriately, to communicate clearly, and to learn quickly, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to identify system constraints or gaps in routine business requirements and effectively communicate issues / risks to the team in a timely manner.
- Ability to maintain status of tasks, defects, issues, and support requests on a daily basis.
- Occasional travel between sites required that could involve overnight and extended stays.
- May be required to work "On-Call", weekends, variable shifts, and after hours.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy; PharmD.
- Prior pharmaceutical reimbursement experience in a multiple health system setting.
- Experience in designing and executing needs assessments.
- Experience working with physicians and other clinical practitioners.
- Experience using multiple clinical applications used at PH&S facilities.
- Education or experience in the area of adult learning.
- Management experience.
- Hospital clinical experience.
- Project Management and/or Project Team Leader.
- Knowledge of pharmacy services within an integrated health system utilizing various pharmacy information applications and related technologies (e.g, computerized provider order entry, point of care bar code medication administration, and automated dispensing cabinets) is highly desirable.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as SharePoint
About the department you will serve.
Providence Strategic and Management Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for all eight regions of Providence Health & Services from Alaska to California. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Information Technology
Req ID: 145372